Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Grand Rapids & Hibbing, Minnesota

The Long & Lazy Days of Summer Vacation... that fly by in a flash...
“If we walk far enough," says Dorothy, "we shall sometime come to someplace.”
"It's a swell state, Minnesota. We had a lovely house... we lived in a white house with a garden. Grand Rapids is surrounded by lakes.
It's a beautiful, beautiful town" -Judy Garland
These are not Dorothy's original slippers. They were stolen from this gallery in 2005. The burglary took less than a minute after the museum was closed.
At this point there are still no leads... what a shame.
Fun fact...
The horse of a different color drawn carriage first belonged to Abraham Lincoln.
A dress from a test shot...
Judy Garland born Frances Ethel Gumm;
June 10, 1922 to parents Frank & Ethel Gumm
Their Grand Rapids Home Restored...
 “It was Toto that made Dorothy laugh, and saved her from growing as gray as her other surroundings. Toto was not gray; he was a little black dog, with long silky hair and small black eyes that twinkled merrily on either side of his funny, wee nose. Toto played all day long, and Dorothy played with him,
and loved him dearly.”
 “A baby has brains, but it doesn't know much. Experience is the only thing that brings knowledge, and the longer you are on earth the more experience you are sure to get."
 “Hearts will never be practical until they can be made unbreakable." 
"You, my friend, are a victim of disorganized thinking. You are under the unfortunate impression that just because you run away you have no courage; you're confusing courage with wisdom."
 How would you like someone to come along and pick something off of you?
My mom & I watched The Wizard of Oz on tv every year together.
It's one of my favorite childhood memories.
She always told me I could go visit Judy Garland's home.
But, if you please, what are munchkins?
Next year marks the 75th Anniversary of The Wizard of Oz.
The museum cannot afford Liza.
Somewhere over the rainbow, way up high
There's a land that I've heard of once in a lullaby.
Somewhere over the rainbow, skies are blue
And the dreams that you dare to dream,
Really do come true.
They call this God's Country.
(The people that make this ice from a well, that is.)

...and it is full of Army Worms.
They come in cycles about every 10 years...
Even though they are a nuisance, they are not harmful to people or trees...
The beach at Prairie Lake is camp for the night.
First order of business...
...is to strip down & jump on in...
 Cow-A-Bunga, Dude
Me: the almighty fire cooker. Never underestimate my skills.
...and my trusty sidekick, the tasty bean eater...
 To Lucky's amazement....
Walking Tacos! Best invention EVER.
Axel's still a soft taco man.
 Just two guys in the wilderness.
He's going to catch one this big...
 See...
 This one's just catching some Zzzz...
It's easy to sleep in the lake air.
Good Morning, Sunny Side Up...
For the love of bacon and all things greasy & grimey...
HIBBING, MN

When a hard rain’s a-gonna fall there is only one road out of town.
Hwy 61...
A young Robert Zimmerman spent his youth within these wall.
Moving on at the age 18...
 I started this blog over 5 years ago after my mom died. We wanted to take the big long rv trip sooner, but there was no way I could take her only grandbaby away from her for that long while she was battling cancer.
Lucky was 2 1/2. Axel wasn't even around.
Now, Lucky is 7, going into 2nd grade and his baby brother is almost 3.
She never got to meet Axel.
I can only imagine how much she would love that big smelly sweet baby.
My goal is to show them the world. One little spot at a time.
Sometimes I am reminded of her in myself. The look of my aging hands. Staring down my nose as I put on mascara. Sometimes I see her in the way I walk or the way I talk. Sometimes this makes me sad.
Sometimes it makes me happy for the silent reminders.
I just wish we could stay like this forever.
May you grow up to be righteous
May you grow up to be true
May you always know the truth
And see the lights surrounding you
May you always be courageous
Stand upright and be strong
May you stay forever young
Forever young, forever young
May you stay forever young
~Bob Dylan

No comments: