Friday, August 23, 2013

Biloxi, Mississippi & Dauphin Island, Alabama ~ Part 2

You know it's funny what a young man recollects? 'Cause I don't remember bein' born. I don't recall what I got for my first Christmas and I don't know when I went on my first outdoor picnic. But I do remember the first time I heard the sweetest voice in the wide world.
- Forrest Gump
Shrimp Boating on The Mississippi Sound in Biloxi
My Mama always said you've got to put the past behind you
before you can move on. -Forrest Gump
 The captain empties the trawl that's been dragging on the bottom of the sound...
...it picks up more than just shrimp...
...the seagulls trail behind to snatch up their share...
Lucky takes the rest.
 Anyway, like I was sayin', shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, saute it. Dey's uh, shrimp-kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo. Pan fried, deep fried, stir-fried. There's pineapple shrimp, lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That- that's about it. -Bubba
That's all I have to say about that -Forrest Gump
Young Forrest Gump: Mama. What's vacation?
Mama: Vacation's when you go somewhere... and you never come back...
When I was hungry, I ate. -Forrest Gump
 Lunch:
Banana Daiquiris, Fried Green Tomatoes & SHRIMP...
Along with an intense game of miniature beach bean bag toss...
 ...followed up with some dangerous gift shopping.
Only narrow strips of land surrounded by water on either side & a long bridge leads to...
DAUPHIN ISLAND, ALABAMA
A super chill place for bird watching & photography.
The island is a rest stop for birds migrating south.
The island is 14 miles long & less than 2 miles at its widest point...
There are signs of life...
...but seems to be mostly desolate...
...uninhabited...
...uninhibited...
The last ferry leaves at 5:30...
Gotta go line up...
...& wait for our ship to come in...
Water taxi back to Gulf Shores...
 Hey BIG oil...
 ...don't go spilling on us...
Looooong Day...
...ends with junk food & cocktails at a picnic table outside by a sandbox.
No place else in the world I'd rather be...
 
Whatever happens in the sandbox, stays in the sandbox...
We was like peas and carrots, Jenny and I . -Forrest Gump

...more Gulf adventures to come..

No comments: